by Chaya Foedus
- Start small.
- Get permission before picking on private property.
- Make sure no chemical fertilizers or pesticides were used.
- It’s easy to mistake a poisonous lookalike for an edible plant. Learn to identify both before picking.
- Skip the mushrooms at first—learn from an experienced mushroomer before going solo.
- Always taste-test at home; the woods are not the place to cope with a surprise allergic reaction.
- Make a day of it. Enjoy the outdoors, learn more about native plants and invite kindred spirits along on the hunt.