The Value of Community Businesses
- To preserve one-of-a-kind businesses and the community’s unique qualities.
- To build strong communities and sustain vibrant town centers by linking neighbors in a web of economic and social relationships.
- To keep local decision-making in the communities those decisions impact.
- To support innovation through entrepreneurship, which is the heart and soul of America’s economic prosperity.
- To employ our public space and services more effectively. Local stores in town centers require comparatively little infrastructure and use public services more efficiently than shopping malls and large stores.
- To help develop and sustain vibrant, compact and walkable town centers, which help reduce urban sprawl, habitat loss, air/water pollution, automobile usage and traffic.
- To stimulate a healthy, competitive marketplace.
- To cultivate a broader range of product choices and diversity.
Amazing foods are available from farmers’ markets around the city and community supported agriculture (CSA) delivery services and myriad restaurants offering plant-based menus, organics, grass-fed meats and cheese, farm-to-table and deliciously healthy holiday fare; not to mention there is a fabulous array of services available in Atlanta.
Check out our Community Resource Guide for a start, and give the gift of healthy living services to that hard-to-gift friend or family member. Want something unique and artsy? Browse our news briefs this month for ideas. If you’re totally at a loss, a hug is the perfect gift!
Have a healthy and happy holiday season!